Sunday, November 21, 2010

Does anyone else hate owning a home?

I'm 32 and single. I bought a home a year and a half ago and it's up for sale. But no one seems to feel how I do. In my opinion I like renting an apartment because it's so much simpler than dealing with a house. To me a house is just a pain in my butt and alot of things to do. I just would like to hear from someone that feels the same as I do. Because everyone likes to argue with me making me think I'm wrong. Maybe they just don't like that I'm challenging their beliefs. Along with many Americans the THING TO DO is get a job own a house, etc. But that road was not for me. Just because it's the THING TO DO. Sometimes I wonder if they are even happy owning their home, but just don't want to agree with me because then they will realize they are unhappy and have to admit it. Some people I'm sure ARE truely happy owning a home AND maybe they have a husband to split the work and the bills. But to me I rather save money by renting a small apartment and living and traveling instead of being tied down to a house that always calls for stuff to do. Basically I just want to hear from people that have the same opinions I do so that I feel like I'm not alone.



If anyone's watched ';Up in the Air'; he talks about the backpack and filling it up with everything we accumulate and feel the weight of it on your shoulders... that's how I felt with my house.Does anyone else hate owning a home?
There is nothing wrong with living in an apartment for the rest of your life. Keeping up with a house is expensive!!!!! You tried the home owning thing and you didn't like it, nothing wrong with that. I lived in an apartment until last October, I have been in my house for like 5 months and I have had nothing but problems. The previous owners lied about a lot of things that are now costing me money, jerks!Does anyone else hate owning a home?
I love that one day it'll be paid for, and all mine. I hate the taxes and fact that I can't just get up and move without losing a ton of cash.
oh yes i hate owning a house. i prefer to be homeless and live in a box
Having to do the repairs and take care of a yard can be a pain, but my house is paid for and that's one less expense I have right now.



Edit: I'm a single female and I handle it.
I totally understand where you are coming from (though the house I live in was my husbands before we met). It is so much easier to rent and when things go wrong the landlord has someone come out and fix it. When you own your home everything that needs to be fixed is your responsibility! My husband is not a handy man either so I do all the ';fixing'; myself.

I do understand the other side too, most people hate that they pay rent every month for something they do not own and never will. They consider it to be a waste of money and with a house you are paying a mortgage and will someday own it free and clear.
What's worse is noisy apartment neighbors, not having a yard and paying most of your paycheck to a landlord.
I went from being an owner to a renter when I moved to California. I prefer being an owner more. With renting you're throwing money away and making someone else rich but with being a owner, you're building equity.



Maybe you should look into a condo. That way the condo association would at least take care of the common areas for you.
I agree with your view.....it's a pain, and it's no longer what it use to be; investment-wise or security-wise. Our president (past and present) is making sure that owning a home funnels your money into their pocket.
I actually agree with you to a certain extent. I am also single (female) %26amp; have owned my home for 6 years. It IS a pain to have to deal with all the repairs, taxes %26amp; insurance! I have often thought about putting it up for sale %26amp; just renting somewhere. The main reason I don't is because I have pets %26amp; a fenced in backyard. I'm afraid I won't find a place to rent that will accommodate my pets....
In some parts of the country, you're better off renting, even after the tax advantages are figured.



And the first time you have to replace something major in the house, you'll really appreciate the days when you had a landlord to put up with that sort of thing.



(I have my own house. I am single. Then again, I am old and not inclined to move much.)

No comments:

Post a Comment