Friday, November 19, 2010

Need advice regarding school and my life!?

Hello! I'm 25 yrs. old, and after high school graduation (2000) I started school at a Technical college. Seems as though my mind wasn't ready for college so I started working full-time for the company that I am still currently with (not to crazy about either). I have moved up as far as I could without my degree. I registered at the college for this summer (May 28, 2007) full-time. Put a 2 week notice in with the job since they won't work around my schedule. I've never made a change like this before and I'm scared to death.!! I'm taking one step back to eventually take two steps forward in the future. I have no idea what I want to do career wise, or anything in general. How do I generate a plan on what I want from myself in the next 2 yrs.? Someone who went through similar situation please chime in and give me some advice! Seems as though everyone else my age is moving on (buying homes, getting married, making more money, etc.) Thanks for any advice!!!Need advice regarding school and my life!?
When I was 24, I quit a dead-end job to go to a technical college, but I was very excited about computer programming. I can't imagine starting at a technical college with no career goals. If you have any intellectual curiosity, you could drift for a while in liberal arts or general studies--try out sociology, writing, business management, whatever, and see if anything appeals to you.



Now I'm burned out on computers and have no career goals left, so I'm sort of in the same boat as you. I'd suggest you go to the career placement office at your college and take the Strong Interest Inventory (Strong is someone's name, not an adjective). It will give you a lot of food for thought. There are many other career tests, but that's by far the best for me. The career placement office should also be able to help you with counseling.



As a long-time homeowner, I'd advise against buying a home unless you desperately want one. They are money pits, they chew up a lot of time, and unless you're lucky the financial return isn't that great. The propaganda machine for homes is very powerful, but look at what motivates the drumbeat for them: millions of homeowners who want to justify their decision, huge corporations with huge advertising budgets that promote buying and decorating houses, and the media (especially newspapers) that gets a lot of advertising revenue from the home industry.



My most important advice is not to compare yourself with your peers. Don't marry until you've found the one you know you want to spend the rest of your life with. Don't buy a house just because other people do. And don't compare your income or possessions with others, because unless you're Bill Gates you'll always feel bad. That doesn't mean you should be stupid about money, just be aware that America's state religion of materialism is a false religion.



Good luck,

HouyhnhnmNeed advice regarding school and my life!?
Your still young. Stay the course and get that degree. You don't say how you are supporting yourself. Set a goal for a graduation, try to work in an industry that may include what your degree will be in and don't give up. You've already experienced what it's like to go as far as you can without a degree so that should be a strong incentive. Quitting or procastinating will only return you to where you were.
I'm 27 and have just enrolled in courses to go back to school to completely change that ';master plan'; I had when I got my bachelor's degree. I don't have to quit my job (yet) to do it, but I have moved on and have the husband and the house. It's just as terrifying for me as for you, because I have a lot to lose.



It IS scary! But don't generate a plan right now. Or at least, leave some wiggle room in that plan. Life has a way of changing your plans.
I think you are on the right track. I'm 28 and am going back to school this summer as well. I am not as fortunate to quit my job so I will be working full time (45 hr week) and going to school full time(5 classes). I think you made a great decision. I was like you, when I went to school @ 19, I was really not into it and ended up wasting money and time. it will be hard for you, I'm not saying it wont, but in the long run it will be for the better. As far as making a plan for the next two years, I am not one to do much planning. I believe in taking things one step at a time. If you think too much about the things you want to accomplish your going to overwhelm yourself and feel depressed because your plan is not going to schedule. Take it step by step, day by day and before you know it...you will be graduating and life will simply put itself in order. Good Luck!
I am where you are at, but I am a little older. As long as you realize that you do need a plan, whatever than plan may be, it should work out. Since you know that the sacrifice you are making now is to benefit your future, dont do anything that may jeopardize that. Just because everyone around you seem to be progressing, doesnt mean you have to be at that pace as well. Some people have families with money that give them all the financial help and support, while others have to work three times as hard to achieve those same goals. Make sure you decide what you want in the end and dont compromise what makes you happy. Keep that eye on the prize!
Getting that Degree will open many doors to you. Instead of hitting a glass ceiling you'll have a chance to move up in a company not just be a number.

No comments:

Post a Comment