Friday, November 19, 2010

Where is a good place to start to be educated in construction/remodels? (Currently I buy/resel homes) ?

I am 26, no kids, not married, although I have a solid companion who I have been with for many years. We have bought/sold and managed/remodeled several projects and learn more and more with every home. The homes we pick up are extremely thrashed. We get them at pretty good prices mainly because of the disasters they become. We're very good at budgeting/etc and always come out ok in the end, it just takes time to break even and begin to see a profit.



So heres my problem: Usually on the past projects, i've hired 3 guys to do the dirty work of getting rid of filth/clutter (thats usually been brought in by homeless people) and then they prep and paint.



The guys do ok, but they frequently need to be re-guided in the right direction, and I have to tell them what to do. Its embarassing because im telling them what to do and its kind of like the blind leading the blind. The work that we have them do is very general so we get by just fine, and then my fiance comes in and does all the finish work for a day or two by himself.



Where can I learn some 'know how' about tools/step by step process guides to help better assist these projects?? My fiance happened to be there on the last home we did and he was saying how the guys need to prep way more for paint, and kept telling them (when they wanted to stop already and paint) that they had to keep cleaning and finish one job before they hit another. I am learning, but I want to really learn, and not look like just some idiot trying to bluff her way through (which is really what I am doing hehe ;)



I want to know what im talking about, let them know what I need, how to do it, and look good doing it. My fiance doesnt have time, we are so busy with all of these projects going on. We're not losing any money on our projects, I just need some credibility and know how. HELP!!! ! ! ! =] Thanks =]Where is a good place to start to be educated in construction/remodels? (Currently I buy/resel homes) ?
find a book on ebay that will instruct you on how to like ANY repair.



sounds like you guys have something going, most of the questions on small business i answer are how to start a lemonade stand.Where is a good place to start to be educated in construction/remodels? (Currently I buy/resel homes) ?
Go to Amazon, you can get anything what you want:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.html?i鈥?/a>
Experience is a great teacher - you are off to a great start. I went to school for carpentry still I would say you can learn even more by being involved in the projects directly. There are so many areas with remodeling that it takes time to learn each area. Documenting what you do and having check lists and contracts before the workers do the remodel work for you is very important. Working with a good contractor is also important.



Perhaps having check lists

http://www.brandsconstruction.com/Blogb2鈥?/a>



will help your contractors to be more complete. Some contractors even have a final cleaning check list http://www.brandsconstruction.com/Blogb2鈥?/a> to make sure all items are sparkling clean for the home owner before they leave.



Hope this helps - Wishing you the very best.

No comments:

Post a Comment