Sunday, December 11, 2011

Would you be insulted?

My husband and I have been married for 3 years and we have a beautiful 1 year old baby boy. We live in a lovely 3-bedrm home in a safe, Lake community that also has lots of park and exemplary schools. My MIL (husband's mother) picked our home apart from the moment she saw it - ridiculed us for our decision to buy this home because it has a pool, the park-lot front yard is not gated, the street has no side-walks, etc. Now she is 'bribing us' to buy a new and more 'child-friendly' home in a nearby neighborhood that is not as asthetically pleasing as our neighborhood, but, a little closer to my husband's job and filled with children. She told my husband that she will give us between $100 - 150,000 to put towards this new home. After some hesitation, I agreed to go look at new homes with my husband. Last night, he told me just to be aware that his mother will most likely expect me to sign papers saying that in the case of a divorce she will get her money back that she put towards our home. My husband's parents are extremely wealthy and I have given them their only grandchild. I feel very insulted first by her insistence upon our selling our home and secondly for her ';strings attached'; offer of monetary assistance. I told my husband that I will not sign any papers and if she wants us to move into a different home and give us money to do so then that is her decision and that it is insulting to ask me to 'sign papers'. My husband and I had an argument over this last night - he said that it is a lot of money for his parents to ';be giving away'; to anyone - except for him...please share how you would feel and any advice is greatly appreciated!Would you be insulted?
when u take money from someone your in debted to them, i would refuse to move, i would stay right where i was. don't let them run your life. if u like your home stay in it. don't let them bully u into anything.Would you be insulted?
i would be equally insulted.
what ever you do, don't you dare Sign those papers and don't except the house either, who are the family maid or their sons wife who gave them a gran child?
Don't take the money or move. You will give away your power and it will erode your marrital relationship.



My in-laws are similar and I went through similar situations. At first I thought the money was great. Later I realized that I was just a chump in the game. They call all the shots and I get no respect. It pumps up their ego and they act like they own the world.



If you want more details, please email me. I've been married for 12 years, and being married into a lot of money is almost like marrying into the mob. There are lots of hidden strings.
Of course you should be insulted. This basically means your MIL has doubts about your marriage lasting a lifetime. You and your husband picked the house you live in now..if you don't have any problems staying there and your husband doesn't either. So be it. Its a marriage and you don't need anyone elses opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment