Sunday, December 11, 2011

How to get out of debt, making little money?

My husband and I have never been good with money. I am 30 now and have filed bankruptcy twice a chapter7 and chapter13. The chapter 13 was dismissed because we couldn't afford the payment...so I am heading towards another chapter 7. Most of our bills are medical, due to a daughter with hearing loss, and getting laid off and having no insurance. I am in the Army and want to get out, but I am not sure if I can afford it. We can't get anyone to give us a consolidation loan because we don't own anything. I hear alot about credit card debt, but we probably have maybe 4000 in credit card debt. The rest is medical and vehicles, but we are about 35,000 in debt. Our credit is shot. I want to get out so I can be home with my family and not in Iraq. I also want to be able to buy a house before I die and gosh not be rich but just able to maintain. Having to file yet another bankruptcy is just killing me but I feel that I have no other choice. HELP!!How to get out of debt, making little money?
Another bankruptcy? I doubt you would be granted another one under the latest revisions in that bank of law. You and your husband need to learn how to live with greatly lower expectations. Use public transportation rather than buying cars you cannot pay for. Sure there are folks out there will sell you a car, regardless of you past credit history, but you will never get out of t he deal. The interest rate will be like 30% and the car will fall apart before you get it paid off. User the bus. Take extra jobs, washing windows is something anyone can do, but people hate doing it, so do it for them at a fee. Mow lawns if you have to, there is no limit to the ways you can earn money. Talk to your creditors and let them know you are in trouble, they might be willing to do one or several things to make things better. You don't lose anything by at least asking them.How to get out of debt, making little money?
You can visit http://www.cashguru.info and find very useful tips and several articles on debt consolidation.

Report Abuse


I can relate .. I work from home, so I can stay home with my kids and still contribute .. we now own our home (no loans) and both cars are paid off ..



I can tell you more about it if you wish, but it is a home business and not a J.O.B. .. if you are open to hard work and willing to learn .. then I think we can talk!
First, I have a question... Why do you have medical bills for your daughter if you are in the Army? My daughter had a heart condition at birth and had to go through a lot of testing, but my hubby was in the Navy and we had TriCare so they took care of everything. If you are in the Army, you should have the same benefits.



Second, I know where you are coming from with feeling swamped. My husband and I just filed Chapter 7. He's been out of the Navy now for 3 years and has bounced from job to job to job, so we have fallen behind. One thing that I may suggest to you is that you try to get someone to take over payments on your car. Atleast on one of them. If you have 1 less car payment that would ease things up a bit, I'm sure. We are only using my husband's single cab truck at the moment... and we're a family of 5, so I understand the sacrifice that it would be, but it can be done. The other thing that i can suggest is to live in Base Housing if you can. This will cut down on the rent and utility bills. Most bases I lived on had very nice housing. Look at how much you spend on food-can you pare that down at all? Do you eat out? Looking at your budget... sit down with your bank statement and put all of your expenses into catagories. Where do you spend the most? Entertainment? Eating out? All those things add up. Just sit down and take a look at your spending because that will give you clues as to where you can trim it down to have more money to live. Hang in there!!! Believe me, things can and will get better!!!!!!!
Try to take on things one at a time. I believe that each and every one of us hits a low spot sometime in our lives, but we can always overcome it. Just don't stop trying.



To get help with financial matters, consider counseling. If you'd rather do it on your own reading a few good books written by financial gurus might prove useful. There are tons and tons of them out there. I know people who have put the advice into action and have actually made very good progress. Also, you might want to look at some personal finance blogs. Often these are by people who have been there. They know what they are talking about. I'd really recommend the following two blogs:



http://www.getrichslowly.org/blog/

http://www.thesimpledollar.com/



Sometimes, the advice in these books and blogs might sound way too easy. Too easy to really work out. But if you think about it, the advice that they give is really common sense. Its just a bit difficult for us to really accept that the solution to some of our problems is really very simple. Or at least not as complicated as we thought.



Read some expert books and blogs. They will give you ';specific'; strategies to deal with your situation and gain financial independence.



Your job issue might prove a bit tricky at the moment. I understand how debt can really cripple your choices. But try applying for jobs locally. Also, see if you can find some occasional / casual jobs that can bring in a little bit of extra cash. You can do stuff like edit resumes, read slush piles for publishing companies, etc.



Hope this helps a bit! Good luck!
It may seem like it will take a long time but I listed my debts , put them in order of importance (who is likely to sue you or garnish wages first), pay $5 to $10 extra each month until it pays off. Check with the medical companies and see if you qualify for aid, also check with any agency who may help with medical bills. Go to churches, try to get a government grant to get you out of the hole life has shown you. Ask anyone you know (friends, family, preachers, just anyone who might have ideas). Don't hesitate to ask the companies you owe what they can do to help

No comments:

Post a Comment